Thursday, April 28, 2011

Song to the Siren

Another bleak and cold autumnal dawn as the frangipanis become shrubby skeletons, as I fumble with the gas stove that seems to have only two settings - Microflame or Flamethrower.
It's one of those slow mornings when you need the haunting mystery of a band like This Mortal Coil and a splash of colour. Other bands like The Czars have covered Tim Buckley's beautiful Song to the Siren, but today it's the voice of Elizabeth Fraser of the loose collective of musos that were This Mortal Coil that gets me in the frame of mind for The Commute.

"When I'm as puzzled as a newborn child
I'm as riddled as the tide
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Or shall I lie with death my bride?
Hear me sing, "Swim to me
Swim to me, let me enfold you"
Here I am, here I am
Waiting to hold you"
from Song to the Siren by Tim Buckley 1970  

No comments:

Post a Comment