Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Simmo x Kawana


For the last 35 years, I have been paying taxes by working in a variety of jobs - shooting surfers, weddings, portraits and other stuff, digging trenches, stacking supermarket shelves, picking veges, delivering junk mail and collecting census data. I have built a lot of functional, fun objects like sailing boats, underwater camera housings and skateboards. But I have never built a surfboard. To me that remains a magical craft - the way one can take a hunk of foam and sculpt it into a shape that is functional and fun in the sea and then layer it with sticky bubble-free fibreglass so it stays watertight and takes your weight. And then there's the tricky art of fin placement.
I'm in awe of people like Simmo, below, who not only can make a board for themselves, but can make one that actually shreds like this DIY board with fins he glassed on. Late arvo Kawana.

No comments:

Post a Comment